6034 West Courtyard Drive, Suite 100,
Austin, TX 78730

Call Us512-610-6199

Subscribe to this list via RSS Blog posts tagged in noncustodial parent

Posted on in Child Custody

Texas custody attorneyIn Texas, non-custodial parents have the right to interact with their child at certain times. Although there are several types of visitation orders in Texas, one of the most common is the Standard Possession Order (SPO), which is usually utilized when parents cannot agree on a visitation schedule. Although the SPO was specifically designed to be fair and workable to both parents, this type of schedule is not always in a child’s best interests, so if you are going through a divorce and are unable to reach an out-of-court agreement with your spouse regarding custody and visitation, you should consider speaking with an experienced complex child custody lawyer who can help you find a solution that is best for your family.

SPO Schedules

When couples are unable to come to a custody arrangement, the court steps in and creates an agreement that is in the child’s best interests. In many cases, this takes the form of the Standard Possession Order, which generally provides that the possessory, or non-custodial parent has the right to visitation with their child starting at 6:00 p.m. on the first, third, and fifth Friday of each month. This period of visitation ends at 6:00 p.m. the following Sunday. Additionally, the non-custodial parent is granted visitation with the child every Thursday evening for two hours.


b2ap3_thumbnail_college-expenses.jpgIn Texas, parents have certain legal duties towards their children, one of which is to provide them with financial support until they turn 18 years old. Parents can, however, be required to help pay for college tuition in some cases, so if you are going through a divorce and have questions or concerns about providing for your child’s future, it is important to contact an experienced complex child custody attorney who can help ensure that your child’s interests are protected.

Parenting Plans and College Tuition

Generally, non-custodial parents are only required to pay child support for a child until he or she turns 18 years old or graduates from high school, whichever is later, although if a child is older than 18 years old, he or she must be attending high school on a full-time basis to continue receiving support. In some cases, courts will take future college education expenses into account when drafting an initial child support order. However, the law does not prevent parents from negotiating and agreeing to additional child support obligations, which could include responsibility for paying for college tuition, during divorce proceedings.


Texas custody laws, Teas complex custody attorneyMaking custody arrangements is one of the most legally complex and emotionally draining aspects of any divorce. These situations can become even more stressful when one or both of a child’s parents are members of the military. Although Texas family law specifically addresses these issues, navigating the court system and fulfilling procedural requirements can still be difficult, so if you are considering a divorce and either you or a spouse are a member of the military, it is critical to contact an experienced complex child custody attorney who can help explain your legal options.

Deployment of a Custodial Parent

Many custodial parents are also members of the armed forces and so are subject to deployment. In these situations, Texas law permits custodial parents to designate another person to take temporary custody of the child. After assessing the child’s best interests a court will grant custody to one of the following individuals:


Texas complex litigation attorney, Texas complex custody lawyerA custodial parent’s decision to relocate with his or her child can wreak havoc on an already precarious and complex child custody situation. Unless both parents reach an agreement, noncustodial parents have the option of objecting to the intended move and leaving it up to a family court to decide whether relocation is in the best interest of the child.

Geographical Restrictions

In Texas, courts have the power to determine geographic restrictions for a child’s primary residence as part of a custody agreement. If a custodial parent wishes to relocate, he or she must obtain a court order modifying the custody agreement. However, even if there is no geographical restriction in the custody agreement, the custodial parent must still give the noncustodial parent notice if he or she intends to move. If the noncustodial parent objects to the move, he or she must file an application for a temporary restraining order, which will prevent the other party from relocating with the child until a hearing on the issue has been held.

Super Lawyers Super Lawyers TBLS AV Martindale
Avvo Top One Expert Top 10 Law Firm
Back to Top