b2ap3_thumbnail_college-expenses.jpgIn Texas, parents have certain legal duties towards their children, one of which is to provide them with financial support until they turn 18 years old. Parents can, however, be required to help pay for college tuition in some cases, so if you are going through a divorce and have questions or concerns about providing for your child’s future, it is important to contact an experienced complex child custody attorney who can help ensure that your child’s interests are protected.

Parenting Plans and College Tuition

Generally, non-custodial parents are only required to pay child support for a child until he or she turns 18 years old or graduates from high school, whichever is later, although if a child is older than 18 years old, he or she must be attending high school on a full-time basis to continue receiving support. In some cases, courts will take future college education expenses into account when drafting an initial child support order. However, the law does not prevent parents from negotiating and agreeing to additional child support obligations, which could include responsibility for paying for college tuition, during divorce proceedings.

For instance, in creating a parenting plan, the parties could draft certain provisions that specifically relate to how college tuition will be divided. In these situations, the parties should ensure that the agreement is made in writing and includes certain information, including:

If an ex-spouse later violates this agreement, he or she can be held liable for breach of contract.

Contact an Experienced Complex Litigation Attorney Today

It can be difficult to plan for a child’s future educational expenses, especially if he or she is very young at the time of divorce. However, drafting a clear agreement regarding tuition can help avoid problems down the road, while also protecting the best interests of the child, so if you are considering a divorce, please contact a passionate Georgetown complex litigation attorney at Powers and Kerr, PLLC for help.