8911 N. Capital of Texas Highway, Building 2, Suite 2105,
Austin, TX 78759

Call Us512-610-6199

Subscribe to this list via RSS Blog posts tagged in divorce decree

Posted on in Complex Divorce

Texas family lawyerWhen a divorce is finalized, the court sets the terms of child support, spousal maintenance, and visitation. Although these terms are generally deemed final, there are situations where courts are willing to modify a divorce decree. If you believe that your child custody arrangement or support agreement should be modified, it is important to contact a high asset divorce lawyer who can help you modify your divorce decree.

Mutual Agreement

One of the easiest ways to modify an order related to child custody, child support, or alimony is by mutual agreement. In these cases, both parties file a petition with the court that contains the agreed upon changes. As long as those changes are in the best interests of the couple’s children and the judge approves them, the previous divorce decree can be altered, usually without any hearings or trials.


Austin high-asset divorce attorneyX collect alimonyX divorce decreeX high-asset divorce, high-asset divorce settlement, QDRO, QDRO collect back support, spousal support calculationsIt is a frustrating reality of divorce, but many ex-spouses do not honor the terms of their high-asset divorce settlement, especially when it comes to child support and/or spousal support. After what can be months, or even years, of drawn-out, complex litigation, the support checks the obligor spouse is supposed to pay stop coming, sometimes before the ink is even dry on the divorce decree.

Trying to collect back alimony or child support funds from an ex who refuses to pay often involves even more litigation and more legal expenses. However, one tool that many high-asset divorce attorneys are beginning to utilize in order to assure their clients receive the assets they are entitled to is the Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO).

In a high-asset divorce, a QDRO is used to ensure one spouse receives the awarded portion of the other spouse's retirement funds. The QDRO is a legal document that lets pension managers and financial institutions know that there is an alternative payee to a particular account. This assures that the spouse who was awarded a portion of the funds will receive them in the future.


Posted on in Divorce

after divorce, Texas family law attorney, moving on after divorce, divorce decree, filing for divorce, No matter the circumstances, divorce is a scary and emotional process to go through. After constantly being one-half of a couple for so long, it can be difficult to start fresh and be single again. However, there are several steps you can take to make the transition easier.

First, do not waste time with regret. You have no way to go back and change what happened with you and your ex, but you do have the option to get back out there and start living the life you want. And you can begin by getting all of the required paperwork in order, so that your divorce can be finalized quickly and it can become a reality for which you can adjust.

Second, easing into a new lifestyle is difficult and overwhelming, but it can become manageable when you have the right people behind you every step of the way. According to Dr. Phil, it is critical that you put together a "support squad" composed of friends, family members, co-workers, and anyone else that can provide you with encouragement, support, and guidance. People enjoy being asked for help, so do not hesitate to reach out. Find those you can speak openly to without feeling judged. Finally, rediscover old passions and explore new ones. Now that you are on your own, you have a chance to create the life you always wanted. Perhaps you enjoyed a hobby before you met your ex-spouse, but once you got married he or she did not support it and you pushed it aside. Now is the time to reconnect with the passions that make you happy, and through these passions you can embrace your new life after divorce. No matter what advice you take, moving on after divorce will not be a walk in the park. However, you can manage the pain and work through it by taking the right steps. If you or someone you know is contemplating divorce, feel free to contact an experienced Texas family law attorney to assist you with the process.
Super Lawyers TBLS AV Martindale Avvo Top One Expert Top 10 Law Firm
Back to Top